As an entrepreneurial municipal government, the Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) has several subsidiary organizations. The following is a list of municipal corporations and companies with the municipality as a shareholder:
- Whistler Housing Authority (WHA): A wholly-owned subsidiary of the RMOW that manages the resident housing program throughout the community of Whistler. The Whistler Housing Authority (WHA) was formed in October 1997 with a mandate to oversee the development of employee-restricted housing in Whistler through the use of the Employee Housing Fund. The WHA also performs the functions of two other agencies: the Whistler Valley Housing Corporation, a municipal corporation that is legally responsible for employee restricted housing developments, and the Whistler Valley Housing Society (WVHS), a volunteer, non-profit society formed under the Societies Act as a legal entity qualified for acquiring Canadian Mortgage and Housing Commission (CMHC) financing. The WHA board of directors is comprised of seven council-appointed community members. Three of these members also sit, along with four other directors, on the WVHS board.
- Whistler Village Land Co. Ltd.: A municipal development corporation that is responsible for the development and enhancement of the Crown land that is the Village. This structure gives the municipality the ultimate control over the design and development of the Village; that of an owner.
- Emerald Dream Conservation C. Ltd.: is a wholly owned corporation of the Resort Municipality of Whistler and is the trustee of the Emerald Forest Trust; a trust formed pursuant to a Trust Settlement Agreement dated November 16, 1999. The Emerald Trust owns the Emerald Forest lands. The Emerald Forest is a tract of forest northwest of the village which has been preserved as parkland, through an arrangement with The Land Conservatory. Emerald Dreams Conservation Co. Ltd. is the sole shareholder of 591003 B.C. Ltd.
- 591003 BC Ltd.: is a wholly owned subsidiary of Emerald Dreams Conservation Co. Ltd. that holds title to a portion of the Emerald Forest lands, which it leases to the Resort Municipality of Whistler. 591003 B.C. Ltd is the sole shareholder of Decigon Development Corp.
- Decignon Development Corporation: is a wholly owned subsidiary of 591003 B.C. Ltd. that holds title to a portion of the Emerald Forest lands, which it leases to the Resort Municipality of Whistler.
- Emerald Trust: Formed pursuant to a Trust Settlement Agreement dated November 16, 1999 as the sole member of 591003 B.C. Ltd. to administer the Emerald Forest.
- Whistler 2020 Development Corporation (WDC): The RMOW created the WDC, incorporated as a business to facilitate the delivery of the Athlete Village for the 2010 Winter Games. RMOW is the sole shareholder of the Corporation; however the Corporation is a separate entity with no political connection to the local government. The WDC Board of Directors included elected members and staff of the RMOW, Whistler community representatives, and was chaired by two volunteer development professionals. WDC was responsible for developing the Legacy Neighbourhood master plan for council approval, developing the business plan to assist council in assessing the financial viability of the procurement process, preparing village development proposal calls, recommending contract awards related to the delivery of the village, monitoring construction and signing off on completion.
- Whistler.com (Coast Mountain Reservations): Operating as Whistler.com, Coast Mountain Reservations is fully owned by the RMOW (51%) and Tourism Whistler (49%). The RMOW purchased half of the shares from the private owner in October 2004. The decision to move forward with Tourism Whistler purchasing the remaining shares was agreed to by Tourism Whistler's Board of Directors and the RMOW's Mayor and Council in February 2006. Tourism Whistler is responsible for the operations of Whistler.com. The board is comprised of three staff and one external appointee from the RMOW and two staff appointees from Tourism Whistler.
- Tourdex.com Systems Inc.: Tourdex.com Systems Inc is a reservations and event booking system. 51% of its shares is owned by the Resort Municipality of Whistler and 49% of its shares is owned by Tourism Whistler.
- Whistler Centre for Sustainability (WCS): Based in Whistler, WCS is an innovative enterprising non-profit organization created from a vision held by Whistler citizens and the RMOW to accelerate the journey toward a sustainable future within Whistler and beyond.
- Cheakamus Community Forest: The RMOW, Squamish Nation, and Lil'wat Nation are partners in the Cheakamus Community Forest venture with Richmond Plywood acting as the operating contractor. On December 15, 2008, Whistler council provided authorization for the RMOW to enter a Limited Partnership Agreement with the Squamish and Lil'wat Nations for the Cheakamus Community Forest. The partnership agreement will allow the three partners to form an arms-length corporation to manage 36,000 hectares surrounding Whistler, which comprises the community forest.
- Cheakamus Leasing Corporation (CLC) - CLC was incorporated on June 3, 2010 for the purpose of developing, acquiring, holding, managing, leasing and renting commercial lands and building space. The RMOW is currently the registered owner of six (6) commercial strata lots located in the building known as “The Falls” located at 1040 Legacy Way (the “Commercial Strata Lots”) in the Cheakamus Crossing neighbourhood. The RMOW will be remain the registered owner of the Commercial Strata Lots and will hold them in trust for CLC, who will be the beneficial owner of the Commercial Strata Lots.
At the beginning of their three-year term, members of council are appointed to internal committees and external boards, including some of the RMOW subsidiary organizations.
View current council appointments.