Whistler Village Centre is located at 4295 Blackcomb Way in Whistler Village.
The building owner proposes to improve the building product at the retail level, improve sightlines and visibility to the retail level, implement aesthetic updates to the public spaces for improved ambiance and comfort, realign pedestrian routes on the property for improved sightlines, and enhance the landscape throughout to remove overgrown vegetation and infill with more appropriate vegetation that will add colour and interest.
The improvements are focused on four areas of the property as summarized below.
- Architecture at retail level (all areas): renovate existing canopies with wood cladding and new lighting, reconfigure the existing timber bracing to reduce the heaviness and improve sightlines and visibility to the storefronts, raise retail signage to improve sightlines to the storefronts, paint the existing green band on the building to dark grey.
- Village Stroll: add one new set of stairs and roof canopy to access the retail level from Village Stroll to improve sightlines and circulation, replace the heavy timber snowguard at the covered arcade with a seat wall, lower the height of some existing planter walls to match others, remove overgrown trees and revitalize the landscape planting with plant material that will add colour and interest.
- Village Common: realign and renovate the existing steps/bridge into Village Common from Village Stroll, redesign the pond feature while respecting the existing floodway, redesign the pond into a play feature with stepping stones and a more urban edge with a seat wall, add lighting, provide landscape planting around the totem, remove overgrown trees and revitalize the landscape planting with plant material that will add colour and interest.
- Courtyard: remove existing trees, redesign the courtyard to create a more European feel/ambiance - install modular/prefabricated planters at the building columns with plantings of appropriate sized trees, install two permanent built-in seating platforms containing gas fire pits with push button activator and timers and seasonal umbrellas, install overhead string lights.
- Skiers Approach: realign the steps and walls at the covered walkway edge and provide planting to soften this building edge, realign and shape Skiers Approach to be more fluid and encourage a more desirable pedestrian path with improved sightlines, secure stairwell access to the underground tenant space with a gate, screen hydro kiosk area, remove overgrown trees and revitalize the landscape planting with plant material that will add colour and interest.
Municipal Council approved the issuance of the development permit for the proposed improvements on May 17, 2016.
During construction the business community, visitors, and residents should expect:
- Areas of Village Stroll, Village Common, Whistler Village Centre Courtyard and Skiers Approach to be fenced off.
- Truck deliveries to the site using the pedestrian Village Stroll.
- An accessible route to all Whistler Village Centre storefronts and Village Common maintained at all times.
- Detour and directional signage as necessary.
Construction is scheduled from April 2, 2018 to June 28, 2018 with the following exceptions:
- July 2018 - isolated construction on canopies, fence around transformer, railings near Mountain FM. There will be no work on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or holiday Mondays.
- September 2018 – resurface of stairs leading from Village Common to Earl’s
RMOW Senior Planner
Senior Construction Coordinator
Larco Investments Ltd.
Tikal Construction Ltd.