A building permit is required from the Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) to construct, add to or renovate a building on your property.
Most large buildings require the services of an architect or engineer to certify the proposed design, in addition to the approval of the Planning Department.
Whistler is subject to high snow, wind and rain loads. All buildings and structures need to be engineered for these conditions.
By reviewing and approving building plans before any work is done, the RMOW can ensure that buildings comply with:
- The BC Building Code, which sets the standards for design and materials
- The RMOW’s Zoning Bylaw No. 303, 2015, and its regulations on buildings and uses for various municipal zones.
Resort Municipality Building and Plumbing Bylaw No. 1617, 2002 establishes requirements and fees for building and plumbing permits.
To find the zoning and legal description for a property, refer to the GIS map.
Before applying for a building permit, download and review the Builder’s Information Package.
Download and complete the required application:
- Single Family and Duplex New Building Permit Application Package Revised March 2016
- Single Family and Duplex Renovation Building Permit Application Package Revised March 2016
- Commercial Tenant Improvement Application Package Revised October 2016
- Multi-Family Building Permit Application Package Revised October 2016
- Complex Building Permit Application Package Revised March 2016
- Site Alteration Permit Application
- Owner’s Authorization of Agent Form
Download the Building Permit Fee Schedule.
Complete a Property Information Retrieval Request for building plans or other documents.
Please allow three weeks for this service. Charges for printing and scanning apply.
Search for building permits that have been applied for or issued for Whistler properties.