Whistler is making BIG MOVES for our climate. When we act together, Small Steps become BIG MOVES
Whistler’s Climate Action BIG MOVES Strategy identifies the six most impactful action areas we need to focus on as a community to reduce emissions and make Whistler a more climate resilient community. We all have a role to play! The RMOW, in partnership with Whistler’s environmental charity AWARE, has created “Small Steps for BIG MOVES“– 12 months of climate actions that each of us can take to support Whistler’s six BIG MOVES.
TAKE ACTION! This September, let’s:
Transitioning to zero emission vehicles and electric mobility is key to achieving BIG MOVE #2: decarbonizing passenger and commercial transportation.
Electric modes of transportation are becoming increasingly available and British Columbians are leading the way in embracing e-mobility. With carbon taxes on fossil fuels set to increase over time, expansions in EV charging infrastructure, and subsidies for electric vehicles, there has never been a better time to consider electric!
This is good news because emissions from private passenger vehicle trips within the community are Whistler’s biggest source of greenhouse gas emissions, creating 54 per cent of our carbon footprint.
Ready to take action? Let’s try one (or some) of these Small Steps for BIG MOVES:
Traveling the Sea-to-Sky corridor frequently? Commuting for work? Watch this free webinar, featuring the experts from EMotiveBC, to find out more about EV ownership.
EVs are now being produced in a wide variety of sizes and to suit different needs. Be sure to explore options for making your next vehicle electric through some of these great resources:
- Electric Vehicle Models Available in BC, Canada | BC Hydro
- Tips for Buying an EV Quickly and Easily | BC Hydro
- Q&A with EV Owners, Advice and Experience | BC Hydro
At time of writing there were up to $14,000 in rebates available for trading in your old car for an EV. Rebates change over time so be sure to check out the latest rebate programs and options to combine rebates. Check these sites for details:
- Take advantage of additional rebates for the purchase and installation of EV charges at single family homes: Learn more.
- BC Provincial Government: CleanBC | Go Electric BC
- Plug In BC: Passenger Vehicle Incentives
- BC SCRAP-IT Program: BC SCRAP-IT Program
Even if you aren’t ready to go electric yet you can still motivate others to make the switch by encouraging your strata or workplace to get EV ready.
- Tell your boss or strata about additional rebates available for the purchase and installation of EV charging stations for multi-residential buildings and workplaces. Learn more.
- Contact an EV advisor for up to five hours of free advice on the best EV charging station solutions for workplaces and multi-unit residential buildings with shared parking garages in BC.
- Head to the Plug in BC EV Advisor Service for Strata and Workplaces for details.
Ready to embrace e-assisted mobility but want to avoid putting another vehicle on the road? We can save time spent in traffic, parking and gas money by swapping car trips for e-bike journeys. E-bikes reduce barriers to going by bike and are a climate savvy swap for a car ride. Just like EVs, different e-bikes are designed to fit different lifestyles.
- Find out more information about E-Bikes in Whistler.
What We Heard ~ Stories Shared
Thank you for sharing your stories!
Check out this small step for BIG MOVES that one of our community members has taken:
- Dan made the most of the BC SCRAPIT program, which helped him recycle his old vehicle and get a significant rebate towards his new electric vehicle. What a great way to reduce emissions for his Sea to Sky commute.
We invite you to share your stories about your small steps for BIG MOVES every month. There’s a chance to win some great prizes if you submit a story! Have a look at our October theme: whistler.ca/ReduceOurWaste
Check out these electric vehicle quick facts:
Even more electrifying resources to explore:
Charging stations in Whistler:
Road trip tips:
Check out EMotive for more great resources on Electric Vehicles