Whistler’s Community Cultural Plan guides the Resort Municipality of Whistler’s (RMOW) pursuit of arts, culture and heritage opportunities.
Whistler's Community Cultural Plan
On September 3, 2013, Whistler council received the Whistler Community Cultural Plan Final Report and directed staff to use the plan to guide the evaluation and pursuit of arts, culture, and heritage opportunities in Whistler.
Development of the plan took place from 2012 to 2013 and was led by the Whistler Arts Council on behalf of the RMOW.
The plan includes 12 strategies and 31 recommendations to work towards the following three strategic priorities:
- Enhance cultural vitality – capitalizing on what we already have
- Expand cultural capacity – cultivating growth of creative activity
- Elevate awareness of and participation in cultural activities – connecting people to their community
A steering committee was appointed to guide the process including representatives from:
- Whistler Arts Council
- Resort Municipality of Whistler
- Whistler Museum and Archives Society
- Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre
- Tourism Whistler
- Alliance for Cultural Tourism
- Whistler Blackcomb
- Whistler’s arts community
In addition, more than 400 community members participated in focus groups, attended open houses, and completed an online survey during development of the plan.