The Assessing Phase was the first step in the Parks Master Plan project, focused on generating a better understanding of the existing state of municipal parks.
Complete. This phase generated considerable information that was combined with other work (such as a pre-existing park accessibility audit) to form a foundation for the next phase of the project.
November 2018 to January 2019
During the Assessing Stage, an inventory of park assets and ideas for investments was collected through the following activities:
- Park surveys and mapping
- Neighbourhood parks and natural areas inventory
- Major parks asset inventory and conditions assessment
A Park Inventory Open House was held and an Outside Voice Survey was available for public input in December 2018.
- View the Phase 1 open house materials
Over half of the community's feedback in Phase 1: Assessing related to the major parks. Emphasis was noted on the following topics:
Other items frequently appearing in community feedback included:
- More public docks
- Acquire waterfront whenever possible
- Connect all parks with local transit service
- More dog friendly areas
- Signs at major parks to direct people to close proximity neighbourhood parks
- Perception of over-irrigation at all parks.
Park-by-park detailed feedback is being considered and integrated where possible in Phase 2.