On November 14, Council conducted its annual retreat with senior management staff, as part of the RMOW's annual corporate planning and budget process.
A variety of aspects of the resort community were discussed, including:
- The existing work plan and projects currently underway to manage and support the resort community
- Community and tourism trends
- Priority areas, opportunities and challenges moving forward.
"In the final year of the Council term, it is an important time for Council to focus on current community pressures and delivering on original committments, " explained Mayor Nancy Wilhelm-Morden. "Council recognizes the importance of balancing these priorities with long-term planning and is looking at ways to help ensure Whistler's future success."
- Continue to prioritize core municipal service delivery excellence
- Implement actions to advance housing, transportation and affordability initiatives
- Facilitate improved community environmental performance
- Expand wildfire protection activities
- Initiate engagement to refresh the Official Community Plan and the associated community vision.
These are largely refinements of current priorities that require substantial focus over time in order to effectively complete them. The organization will continue to deliver on the existing work plan and project commitments in the Corporate Plan.
Updating the RMOW's vision and official community plan is a new priority this year, although it has been on the radar for some time. Engaging the community and refreshing these important documents will help guide Council's decisions and the future of the community.
The planning process for the annually updated Corporate Plan and Budget documents each spring also includes:
- community and economic monitoring results
- community input through channels such as our 17 committees and working groups
- the 2017 Community Forum and other community events
- the Community Life Survey
- a wide range of other planning initiatives.
A number of opportunities will be available for the community to learn more about the 2018 plan and budget in the coming months.