Drop-in adult admissions will increase by 25 cents in 2016 and 2018
The Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) will be updating the fee schedule at Meadow Park Sports Centre, following Council’s approval on Tuesday night.
The new schedule was developed based on a comprehensive market review of recreation passes and rates across British Columbia and Alberta, and balances the need to improve resident affordability with the need for cost recovery at Whistler’s municipality-operated recreation facility.
Through the new schedule, drop-in adult admissions will increase by 25 cents to $8.50 for 2016 and 2017 and again to $8.75 for 2018 and 2019. All other admission and pass products will increase over the next four years based on Council’s fees and charges policy for an average of 1.5 per cent.
The RMOW will also introduce three new ways to increase affordability at Meadow Park Sports Centre:
- Six-month passes will be decreased from $326 to $318.75 and annual passes from $577.50 to $535.50.
- Participants in the Whistler Chamber of Commerce’s Whistler Experience program can purchase a discounted annual pass for $499 in addition to the previous six-month Spirit pass for $299.
- Grade 5 and 10 passes will be valid for squash court access, in addition to access to the pool, skating rink and fitness centre.
“I am pleased with the way the new fee schedule helps reduce the gap between revenues and expenses at Meadow Park Sports Centre, while also providing the public with new, affordable options to access these public recreation facilities,” said Whistler Mayor Nancy Wilhelm-Morden. “Increasing fees is never easy, but staff have done a prudent job in managing these competing needs based on thorough research and analysis.”
The current gap between revenues and expenses at Meadow Park Sports Centre is below the RMOW’s cost recovery target of 60 per cent. The new fee schedule will decrease the gap with an estimated positive net effect on revenues of approximately $27,000 in 2016 and 2017, and another positive net effect of $28,000 in 2018 and 2019.
The RMOW will also maintain the following discount and promotional initiatives:
- Early Bird/Late Owl discounts
- Midday/Midweek discounts
- Tuesday and Friday 50 per cent off nights
- Ability to combine discounts on a variety of longer term pass products
- Promotions at certain times of the year such as the National Fitness Day pass discounts and the late spring “Buy Three Months, Get One Free Pass” discount
- Volunteer pass options
The new fee schedule will take effect on January 1, 2016. It replaces the previous fee schedule approved by Council approximately two years ago.
To learn more about pass products and programming at Meadow Park Sports Centre, visit whistler.ca/recreation