The Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) is a Select Committee of Council consisting of Council, Staff and community members – each bringing a unique perspective in determining key considerations relative to community planning and management of future land uses and activities within the Resort Municipality of Whistler.
The SPC was established with the adoption of the Terms of Reference on May 28, 2019, with the objective to act in an advisory capacity, to support Council in its decision making related to community and land use planning and growth management.
- Provide input to long term strategy development for community and land use planning activities within the municipal boundaries;
- Provide strategic input for potential amendments to the Official Community Plan (OCP) and major development projects being considered in the RMOW;
- Establish guiding metrics and targets to effectively manage and balance Whistler’s resort and community capacity while protecting Whistler’s unique sense of place and meeting the community’s long term needs.
Purpose of the Committee
- Understand and seek to collaboratively implement Whistler’s Vision and Official Community Plan (OCP), as may be amended from time to time;
- Assist in the proactive development of strategies to manage the resort’s activities within established targets and in alignment with the OCP;
- Participate in an ongoing process designed to identify and consider strategic land use issues and opportunities, and provide advice to Council specifically on the following:
- Management of RMOW owned lands taking into consideration community values, carrying capacity and preservation needs;
- The extent to which Whistler’s long term housing needs may be met, consistent with growth management policies, while considering the financial implications, associated risks and other factors;
- Institutional facility and services needs assessment to support longer term community needs such as schools, medical and health, childcare and recreation;
- Evaluation of existing and approved future development potential;
- Potential major amendments of the OCP or major development applications. It is noted that any SPC advice to Council on any major development application requires the applicant to be given the opportunity to make representations to the Committee – as per s461 (8) of the Local Government Act.
- Ensure consideration, and seek to integrate the work, of other relevant committees including the Economic Partnership Initiative Committee, Transportation Advisory Group and others;
- Consider other additional items, as relevant, in line with 2 a) – e) above;
- Meet regularly to consider the implications of the above, and to develop strategic advice to Council or other relevant organizations, to best leverage the community’s collective resources toward achieving goals outlined within the OCP.
SPC Committee Members
- Chair: Mayor Jack Crompton
- Five Member(s)-at-Large (currently seeking eligible applicants)
- Two representatives from Whistler Council
- Mike Furey, Chief Administrative Officer, RMOW
- Jan Jansen, General Manager, Resort Experience, RMOW
- Mike Kirkegaard, Planning Director, RMOW
- Toni Metcalf, Manager, Economic Development, RMOW
- Richard Kemble, Economic Development Analyst, RMOW
Meeting schedule will be published following the appointment of all committee members.
Meeting agendas and minutes
Meeting agenda and minutes will be published once first meeting has been scheduled, following the appointment of all committee members.
Economic Development Department