In 2020, Whistler’s material flows are managed in comprehensive, convenient and upstream way, and the resort community is well on its way to embracing the concept of a ‘zero waste’ society.
In the future:
- The resort community is clean and well maintained.
- Whistler offers the same or higher quality service using less materials than in the past.
- Whistler is using durable materials that are less environmentally harmful, preferring recycled, natural and sustainably harvested materials, and plentiful metals.
- The resort community is ‘closing the loop’ by providing appropriate and convenient opportunities for reducing, reusing and recycling materials.
- Whistler is well on its way to achieving its ‘zero waste’ goal.
- Increased business performance and economic opportunities are being realized as a result of smart materials management.
- The community is committed to providing infrastructure capable of continually decreasing our residual wastes.
- Local businesses, residents and visitors are knowledgeable about material flows, and demonstrate a strong ethic of responsibility and stewardship toward resources and materials.
- Substances and chemicals that are harmful to human health are being eliminated, replaced, or managed in a way that they do not disperse in nature.
- Partnerships are developed such that collective procurement choices favour companies and suppliers that are consistent with our identified materials and solid waste values.