The Memorial Bench Program was concluded in 2013 and replaced with the Tribute Plaque Program Guidelines to conclude the Memorial Bench Program and remove the memorial benches from service were adopted by municipal Council in May 2013.
Memorial Bench Conclusion Guidelines
- The municipality will maintain all memorial benches as per normal practices until they are retired.
- The municipality defines that the obligation to maintain existing memorial benches concludes 15 years after the date of installation of the fixture. At that time the bench is deemed eligible to be retired.
- In advance of the retirement date, the municipality will attempt to contact the donor to advise of the upcoming retirement and options available.
- At retirement, the bench will be removed from the site. The donor has the choice of having the plaque returned to them or arranging to pick up the bench and plaque for their personal use. All obligations of the municipality and donor are ended.
- At retirement, Memorial Bench donors may choose to participate in the Tribute Plaque Program and will be offered the first right of refusal at the existing site if it is deemed to be suitable by the municipality. All conditions of the Tribute Plaque Program including costs will be applicable.
Additionally, in cases where there has been no response from the donor:
- The site will be reserved for a period of five years to allow the donor to contact the municipality and potentially participate in the Tribute Plaque Program.
- During this five year period a non-Tribute Plaque bench may be placed at the site.
- At the conclusion of this five year period all obligations of the municipality and donor are ended and the site will be made available to other potential donors through the Tribute Plaque Program.