Whistler has a goal to achieve zero waste. As a community with strong sustainability goals, organizations across the community have been working together to improve the ways in which waste material is managed. Updates to the Solid Waste Bylaw by the Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) now require all properties to separate all recyclable and organic material from garbage to landfill.
The RMOW and its partner organizations have developed tools, which support multi-family accommodation properties of 12 units or more with the implementation of new or updated waste management systems.
The flow chart below identifies first steps to work through when considering updates to waste infrastructure and services. Need to connect with the Building Department? Click here.
- Whistler’s Zero Waste Strategy
- Resort Municipality of Whistler updated Solid Waste Bylaw no. 2139 2017
- SLRD Solid Waste and Resource Management Plan 2016
Tools for Property Managers, Property Rental Companies and Strata Councils
- A Waste Solutions Guide: Recycling and Reducing Food Waste in Multi-Family Accommodation Properties
- Tool 1- Reviewing existing waste systems
Toolkits for inside Multi-Family Accommodation Properties
- Reducing waste at home
- Recycling in Whistler – how and what to recycle
- Composting in Whistler – how and what to compost
- Composting poster - This poster showcases what goes in and what stays out of the food scraps and organics bin
- Small organics bin label
- AWARE waste reduction tools - Find waste infrastructure options, product purchasing support, in-unit pamphlets, a guide to what is accepted where and more.
Free Downloadable Signage
Throughout the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District and Metro Vancouver signage colour-coding and icons have been standardized to ensure consistency.
- Free Printable signs in multiple formats for in the property
- Build custom signage with the SLRD Do-It-Yourself Signage Tool
Building and Retrofitting Garbage Rooms