Alta Lake Road is the last area in Whistler not completely serviced by sanitary sewer. This project will connect the remaining lots to the municipal sanitary sewer system. The project includes approximately one kilometre of sanitary sewer main, manholes and connections to 33 property lines, and three RMOW parcels. The project was approved by Council on October 8, 2019.
Staff have awarded the design to ISL Engineering and Land Services. The design phase will take place in 2020, and construction is scheduled for 2021.
The project timeline and scope is summarized below:
- Request for Proposal will be issued for the detail design and tendering services
- Completion of the detailed design
- Draft and present the Local Service Area Bylaw to Council with updated cost estimate information.
- Tender construction services for the installation of the sanitary main, manholes and connections to 33 property lines and connections to three RMOW parcels.
- Tender procurement of individual lift stations
- Project implementation
View the detailed Alta Lake Road Sewer upgrade project schedule (April 27).
On May 3, 2019 the RMOW sent out a petition to impacted residents. The petition was for the creation of two Local Service Area Bylaw’s that would be created to finance the design and construction of the Alta Lake Road Sewer Extension. The costs outlined in the petition document reflected the estimated project design and construction cost and ongoing operation and maintenance costs for the municipal sanitary sewer only. The cost of the construction of the sanitary sewer has been proposed at a 50 per cent cost share with the RMOW, and the RMOW’s 50 per cent would come from the existing sewer capital reserves, which has been funded by all RMOW taxpayers presently connected to the municipal sewage system. The petition closed August 30, 2019.
The residents who have been petitioned were invited to an open house August 6, 2019. This was an opportunity for residents to ask about the petition precess.
Find out more about the Liquid Waste Management Plan.