The Emerald Water System Upgrade Project consists of 2 phases.
Phase 1 - Emerald UV Station Construction (complete)
- Contractor: Kingston Construction
- Consultant: WSP Global
- The UV Station building is located adjacent to the Emerald Reservoir off of Emerald Drive
- Construction is expected to be complete in May 2018
Phase 2 - Emerald Pump Station Rehabilitation
- Contractor: Carver Construction
- Consultant: WSP-Opus International
The Pump Station is located between the Emerald Park basketball court and Highway 99.
The upgrades include:
- Addition of an accessible washroom;
- restoration of the existing pump station building;
- upgrade to the electrical panel;
- the addition of a new mechanical room;
- upgrades to the existing well; and
- a new manhole.
It is expected that Phase 2 will be completed in the winter of 2018. The basketball court paving will occur in the Spring of 2019.
Work hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and it is not anticipated that work will occur on weekends.
The Emerald Water Quality Upgrade project will help to ensure a safe, high quality water supply to the Emerald neighbourhood through an ultraviolet (UV) disinfection station.
Ultraviolet disinfection has also has been used since 2009 at Whistler’s main water source, 21 Mile Creek.
The UV water treatment station will upgrade the Emerald water treatment system to:
- Comply with current “two-barrier” standards for disinfection by adding a UV plant.
- Significantly reduce our use of disinfection chemicals and corresponding green-house gas emissions.
- Extend the life of the Emerald Park well pump building.
Vancouver Coastal Health has made the installation of UV water treatment plant in 2017 a requirement of our Emerald drinking water system permit.
Please stay off the construction sites and obey construction signage.
Please note that the Emerald Reservoir access road (starting at Emerald Drive) is a statutory Water Works Right of Way road through private property to allow the RMOW to access and maintain the reservoir and proposed UV station site. This road is private property and public entry is not authorized.