Implementation of the 2019 White Gold water main replacement project is underway. The entire White Gold neighborhood will have their water mains replaced including Nancy Green Drive, Fitzsimmons Road South, Fitzsimmons Road North, Toni Sailer Lane, and Ambassador Crescent. The project will upgrade water main infrastructure and service lines to each property line.
The project will replace aging water mains that were originally installed in 1976 with PVC pipe followed by road repaving planned in 2020.
Work will occur weekdays between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. with occasional weekend work.
Interruptions to traffic will be managed by the prime contractor's (Coastal Mountain Excavations) traffic control personnel.
Water shut offs
Periodic water service interruptions will occur. Notices will be delivered to the affected households in advance of the interruptions.
The water service connection (aka water curb stop valve) for your property is located on the property line (municipal and private) and may be located among established hard (ie. rock wall) and/or soft (vegetated) landscapes.
In order to efficiently maintain the water supply service, the Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) may have to remove or alter the hard and soft landscaping within the municipal right-of-way to complete the water service upgrade to your property line.
The RMOW contractor will partially re-instate the municipal right-of-way to a state where the water service connection can be maintained and accessed for future use. However in cases where landscaping is too close to the water service connection the RMOW will not be fully reinstating the hard and soft landscaping within the RMOW right-of-way.
Council has approval the project and the contract has been awarded to Coast Mountain Excavation.The project is scheduled to begin mid April 2019 and continue to the fall of 2019 with road repaving in 2020.
Opportunity for White Gold residents to place utility lines underground
If desired, it is recommended that homeowners in White Gold coordinate as soon as possible the planning and design relocation of utility lines (i.e. BC Hydro, Shaw and TELUS) underground before roads are repaved. The RMOW may be able to delay paving of the roads to accommodate this work.
Homeowners are responsible for the coordination and costs of utility undergrounding if they choose to underground utilities that are not owned or managed by the RMOW.
According to BC Hydro, estimated costs to the individual home owner for both the private and public components can range between $20,000 and $40,000 These estimates are for BC Hydro electrical lines only and do not include other utility services provided by companies such as Shaw or Telus.
Process for homeowners interested in undergrounding overhead utilities
Step 1: On Private Land
- Individual property owners will need to contact the utility service providers (e.g. BC Hydro, Shaw, TELUS) to initiate the design work on your private property which includes the service from the pole to your home. All properties along a section of road must have the utilities placed underground on their property before the undergrounding can be done in the road right-of-way. This will need to be done before proceeding to Step 2 on public land.
*Note: The estimated costs provided by BC Hydro for individual properties to complete the work is $5,000 to $15,000.
Step 2: On Public Land
- Coordinate with your neighbours regarding the street/municipal utilities.
- Assign a lead person to represent your street (or section of a street).
- Have the lead person contact BC Hydro to initiate design. The BC Hydro contact is Janis Humphrey: Janis.Humphrey@bchydro.com
- It is required that all final design (IFC) drawings be submitted to RMOW Infrastructure Services Department (4325 Blackcomb Way) for records.
*Note: The estimated costs provided by BC Hydro for the work required in the road right-of-way is between $15,000 and $25,000 per property.
Step 3: The lead person should contact other utilities such as Telus, Shaw and Bell to coordinate work for undergrounding of each utility.