The Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) is committed to openness, transparency, and accountability to the resort community, and encourages residents and businesses to get informed, participate in community events, and share ideas and feedback.
Public consultations and input opportunities
- Open houses and workshops – See news and events calendar for updates
- Public hearings and development input opportunities – Visit whistler.ca/ActiveApplications
- Surveys – Community Life Survey
- Annual Community Forum
Community Engagement Review
Under the guidance of the Governance and Ethics Committee of Council, a Community Engagement Review was conducted from late 2019 through 2020, and in October 2020 the Community Engagement Review Findings and Recommendations Report and a new Community Engagement Policy were endorsed by Council.
The Report presented 30 recommendations while the policy identified key guiding principles for engagement:
- Resourced – financial and human resources, including knowledge
- Inclusive – diverse and adequate participation
- Respectful – treatment, time, privacy
- Informed – quality, consistency, timeliness
- Meaningful – appropriate level, worthwhile for participants
- Transparent – clear promise, open process, report back
- Monitored – process evaluation, performance measurement
The review provided the launching off point for the organization to implement recommendations over the coming months and years toward an expanded, more defined and easier to use community engagement program across the organization. View the Council presentation.
- Whistler.ca – The municipal website is your front desk for information about Whistler council, municipal programs and services.
- Subscribe for updates – Subscribe for Resort Municipality of Whistler publications and updates.
- Whistler Today – Subscribe to the Resort Municipality of Whistler’s weekly e-newsletter to receive news and updates about municipal programs and events in your inbox. Whistler Today.
- The Whistler Podcast–Subscribe to join host Mayor Jack Crompton for candid community conversations about current events, local government and everything Whistler.
- Event Listings – Find municipal and community meetings, festivals, workshops, and events by viewing the calendar.
- Facebook – Find news and updates, and share feedback on community issues, on the Resort Municipality of Whistler’s Facebook Page.
- Twitter – Follow the Resort Municipality of Whistler on Twitter (@RMWhistler).
- Instagram – Follow @RMWhistler
- YouTube Channel – Watch Resort Municipality of Whistler videos on our YouTube Channel.
Read the RMOW’s social media use and community guidelines.
Get in touch
- Contact Us – Find phone numbers, addresses, and email addresses for mayor and council and staff at the Resort Municipality of Whistler. Contact Us .
- Online Services – Pay parking tickets, renew business and dog licenses, claim your Home Owner Grant, and apply for permit online. Online Services.
- Report – Report a bylaw violation, pothole or broken street sign, garbage or recycling issue, snow removal issue, street light outage, and waste or wastewater issue.
Connect with Council
- Council Meetings – Attend Council Meetings or watch live online, or view videos of past meetings.
- Public Hearings – Review the rezoning application process, write to Mayor and Council regarding the proposed Bylaw or present to Mayor and Council at a Public Hearing.
- Ask Questions – Ask questions to members of council during the question and answer period at the start of every Council Meeting.
- Write a letter to Council for their consideration at the meeting.
- Present to Council – Members of the public can make presentations to Council at Regular Council Meetings.
- Contact Members of Council – Contact Mayor and Council by phone, mail or email.
- Committees – Committees of Council provide advice to Council and opportunities for public involvement in municipal matters. Committees.
- Volunteer – Find volunteer opportunities with Whistler’s Village Host program and other community organizations and events. Volunteer.
- Careers – Find careers with the Resort Municipality of Whistler. Careers.
The Council Communications Policy in the RMOW Council Governance Manual designates the Mayor, CAO and Public Information Officer (Communications manager or staff) as the principal spokespersons for the municipality, and outlines requirements for public consultation and participation.