Situated within the shared, unceded territory of the L̓il̓wat7úl (Lil’wat People) and Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish People), the Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) is a destination resort community, local government organization and leader in providing municipal programs, services, progressive planning and infrastructure for almost 14,000 permanent residents and over three million annual visitors.
Our Community Vision
Whistler: A place where our community thrives, nature is protected and guests are inspired.
- Our resort community thrives on mountain culture and the nature that surrounds us.
- We protect the land – the forests, the lakes and the rivers, and all that they sustain.
- We enjoy a high quality of life in balance with our prosperous tourism economy.
- We seek opportunities for innovation and renewal.
- We recognize the value of our history and the foundations of our resort community.
- We honour those who came before us and respect those who will come after us.
- We move forward with the Lil’wat Nation and Squamish Nation and reconcile with the past.
- We value our relationships and work together as partners and community members.
The RMOW's mission is to be a leader and a partner in the resort community, representing a caring, accountable, open, professional, municipal government, committed to continuous improvement and to balancing fiscal capabilities with the delivery of exceptional service.
The Resort Municipality of Whistler
The RMOW spans an area of 24,500 hectares and is located on the west coast of Canada approximately two hours north of Vancouver along the picturesque Sea to Sky Highway and within the epic Coast Mountain range.
The RMOW is the local government organization for the resort community of Whistler.
The RMOW manages municipal planning and development, park and Village operations, sports facilities and recreation, public utilities and environmental services, bylaws and enforcement, fire rescue, fiscal planning and financial services, legislative services, human resources, communications, and is guided by Whistler's Official Community Plan. Learn more about the RMOW's departments.