BC Building Code available at Whistler Public Library
Online copies of the BC Building Code are available for reference at the Whistler Public Library.
https://www.whistlerlibrary.ca/learn/research-databases *Must be using a computer in the Whistler Public Library for access.
New BC Building Code will be effective December 10, 2018
The new BC Building Code will be effective December 10, 2018 and will apply to building permits applied for on or after that date.
Some important BC-specific code changes introduced in the 2018 BC Building Code include:
- Increasing building accessibility for persons with disabilities;
- Improving the energy efficiency of buildings to require compliance with new building energy efficiency codes and standards;
- Providing a variation to the National Building Code requirements for mid-rise combustible buildings to require 10 percent street frontage and exterior cladding with increased fire resistance; and
- Updating radon data, based on recent studies. Proposed change will include Whistler as location in BC requiring radon rough-ins.
For more information about the 2018 BC Building and Plumbing Code: 2018 BC Codes
For a summary of 2018 BC Building Code Changes and technical bulletins:
- Summary of changes
- General technical bulletin
- Accessibility bulletin
- Mid-rise combustible construction bulletin
- New Radon Rough-in Requirements
BC Building Code
The BC Building Code sets the minimum requirements for the construction, alteration, repair and demolition of buildings.
The BC Building Code sets the minimum requirements to ensure the safety of all homes, buildings and structures within Whistler. All building permit applications are reviewed to ensure that the proposed works are in compliance with the BC Building Code.
Read all the revisions to the BC Building Code.
Ensure that your proposed works are in compliance to the BC Building Code prior to applying for a Building Permit.