Council endorsed Cannabis Retail Policy G-27 on August 2, 2022, and finalized bylaw amendments to regulate cannabis retail stores on January 10, 2023. The Cannabis Retail Temporary Use Permit application intake period was open to receive applications from February 13, 2023 to March 13, 2023.
Temporary Use Permits (TUPs) for Cannabis Retail
April 2023 Update
The RMOW received ten applications for Cannabis Retail TUPs during the defined intake period. See the applications on our current development webpage for more information.
The applications will be reviewed for alignment with the criteria established in the Cannabis Retail Policy, and brought to Council for approval. Council can approve one cannabis retail store in each TUP area, up to a maximum of five stores in Whistler.
Cannabis Retail Policy
Cannabis Retail Policy G-27 outlines evaluation criteria to guide for the RMOW when reviewing applications for cannabis retail stores. Applications must be consistent with the Policy and follow an approval process by Council. The application guidelines and evaluation criteria set clear expectations and establish a transparent process
Provincial Licence Referral
Applicants will be required to obtain a Cannabis Retail TUP and business licence from the RMOW, in addition to a Cannabis Retail Store licence from the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB). The RMOW will review LCRB Cannabis Retail Store licence referrals after a complete TUP application has been accepted.
The municipal approvals process occurs in parallel to the provincial licensing process, similar to the approval process for liquor stores and pubs.
TUP Areas for Cannabis Retail
Council can approve up to five cannabis retail stores, one in each TUP Area: the Village, Village North, Creekside, Function Junction and Nesters Plaza, as outlined in Zoning Amendment Bylaw (Cannabis Retail) No. 2371, 2022.
Instructions for interacting with the embedded map below.
1. Click on any parcel in the TUP areas to get a property’s addressing and the zoning information.
2. Use the ‘Search’ box to locate properties in the TUP areas by address.
3. Use the ‘Bookmark’ tool to center the map on any of the specific TUP areas or to take the map view back to the start view.
Presentations and Reports
- December 20, 2022 – Public Hearing Summary and Third Reading for Zoning Amendment Bylaw (Cannabis Retail) No. 2371
- September 20, 2022 – Cannabis Retail Strategy Bylaw Amendments Report
- August 2, 2022 – Cannabis Retail Strategy Update
- December 7, 2021 – Cannabis Retail Strategy