The RMOW has operated an Alpine Trail Ranger Program on Mount Sproatt and Rainbow Mountain between July and October annually since 2017, funded by the RMOW and the Province of British Columbia's Resort Municipality Initiative.
The rangers travel on both multi-use and hiking-only trails and their duties include:
- trail monitoring and maintenance
- outhouse cleaning/stocking
- litter picking
- enforcement of safe alpine recreation through public education
- wildlife and wildfire observation data collection
- trail user survey collection
- ambassador duties
- first aid
- communication with Whistler Search and Rescue, Conservation and Forestry Officers and RMOW staff.
Observation and data collection are important parts of the rangers’ responsibilities and helps inform future trail management decisions.