In response to heightened trail issues, the RMOW-led Trails Planning Working Group (TPWG) was formed by Council in 2012 to coordinate the planning of hiking and mountain biking trails close to Whistler.
The working group includes representatives from:
- Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW)
- Alpine Club of Canada – Whistler (ACC-W)
- Whistler Off Road Cycling Association (WORCA)
- Trials 99 trials motorcycle organization (T99)
- Recreation Sites and Trail BC (RSTBC)
- Association of Whistler Area Residents for the Environment (AWARE)
- Squamish Lillooet Regional District (SLRD)
- Cheakamus Community Forest (CCF)
- Whistler Blackcomb
Additional members, including commercial tenure operators, are engaged when needed.
The working group encourages local trail user groups and land managers to discuss trail issues and ideas, to coordinate planning and resources, and to seek formal approval for trails.
Information from the working group is shared with three municipal Committees of Council:
- Recreation Leisure Advisory Committee (RLAC)
- Forest and Wildland Advisory Committee (FWAC)
- Whistler Bear Advisory Committee (WBAC)
The working group guided and prepared the Sproatt/Rainbow trail network plan from 2012 to 2013. The TPWG continues to meet twice a year to coordinate trail planning and maintenance activities.