A planning process for the rezoning and future development on a 5.2-hectare area connected to Whistler Village has been initiated with the Resort Municipality of Whistler. The mostly undeveloped, privately-owned lands have a prominent location just north of Whistler Village and present a significant opportunity for our resort community to shape a large development parcel in the Village. We will be seeking community input over the coming months through an enhanced process that will guide the consideration of the rezoning.
Development of this area presents a unique opportunity to meet broad community priorities and align with the overall needs of our community to help achieve the following:
- Further a number of Council policies and initiatives
- Create a development that is sustainable, socially inclusive, and highly livable
- Derive community amenities to serve the new development and the broader community
- Align with the Climate Action Big Moves Strategy
- Create new housing and employment opportunities within walking distance of shops, services, the employment center, and the village core
A range of topics will be considered in the planning principles and objectives:
- Land use
- Density and height
- Built form and character
- Transportation and circulation
- Community amenities and public benefits
- Development phasing
Developing principles and objectives for the site will build upon key municipal policies, such as the updated Official Community Plan, to provide a clear framework from which to consider alternative development concepts and potential amenities associated with a rezoning of the privately-owned lands.
We want to know what you think
Several opportunities and channels will be made available for you to provide your ideas and input about this important project in Whistler Village.
- One-month input period launch: June 17
- Community Conversation Open House: June 17, 5-7:30 p.m.
Community survey to go live June 17.
The lands were initially granted development rights for a substantial resort in 1990 through a proposal call by the municipality for developments that would deliver amenities that contributed to achieving Whistler’s vision as a world class, four season destination resort community. Following some approved modifications to the zoning in 1998, further development concepts were initiated over the years but never brought to completion. The site has remained undeveloped except for the existing tennis facility. The community has evolved and grown significantly since the original zoning and this planning process is intended to build alignment with today's needs.
The portion of the lands proposed for rezoning and future development is located at 4500 Northlands Boulevard and 4711 Settebello Drive (to be referred to collectively as 4500 Northlands) and is made up of two parcels totalling approximately 5.2 hectares (12.85 acres). The large parcel on the other side of the road, 4700 Blackcomb Way, has the same owner and has previously been established as a conservation area that will remain undeveloped.
The project will go through the following steps over an estimated timeline of approximately 18 months.
March 16, 2021 Regular Council Meeting
- Council report
- Appendix A: Site location and context
- Appendix B: Current zones
- Council presentation video
- Council presentation slides
This section coming soon.