Learn more about the role of the RMOW and how you can get involved during Local Government Awareness Week (LGAW).
Local Government Awareness Week initiative is a partnership between UBCM, CivicInfo BC and the Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing. The goal for the week is to:
- generate awareness and educate the public about the roles and responsibilities of local government, and
- encourage the public to participate in local government processes.
Local Government Awareness Week May 14-20, 2023
Local Government Awareness Week is on May 14-20, 2023. Whistler students are invited to participate in the civic landscape that is the Resort Municipality of Whistler to explore and participate in topics relevant to the community today.
Learn more about the RMOW:
Various ways members of the public can get to know the Resort Municipality of Whistler include:
- Attend a regularly scheduled meeting of Council. Regular Council meeting days are the first and third Tuesday of each month, unless otherwise advertised. Council schedules are posted annually, and the most recent agendas and Council meeting packages are available online the Friday prior to a scheduled Council meeting.
- Live streaming video and archived video of Council meetings is also available online and can be viewed on your mobile device.
- Attend committee meetings that are open to the public unless the topic relates to a subject included in Section 90 of the Community Charter. The RMOW currently has 14 select committees, two standing committees and two council-appointed boards.
- Subscribe to the RMOW’s bi-weekly newsletters including Whistler Today and Council Briefs.
- Write to your Whistler Council. They want to hear from you!
- Visit whistler.ca for everything you need to know about your municipality.
- Teach your class with resources from Whistler's Local Government Awareness Series.