Providing crisis support and assistance
Being a victim or witness to crime, violence or abuse is a role no one is prepared for, and not everyone will respond the same way to the same crime. Friends and family members of crime victims can experience loss and psychological harm.
The Whistler RCMP established a Victim Services program in 2001, after receiving a grant from the Province for crime victims in the community. The Province and the Resort Municipality of Whistler continue to fund this program.
Choosing to access victim services is voluntary. You can call to request support, or be referred by a police officer or professional from another agency.
- Abuse (emotional, physical and mental)
- Accidents, including motor vehicle accidents (witness and victims)
- Breaking and entering/robbery
- Child abuse
- Criminal harassment
- Sexual assault. Download a sexual assault pamphlet.
- Sudden death
- Violence in relationships
- Information: about the criminal justice system, Victims of Crime Act, police procedures, financial compensation, court, stress management and community services
- Support: empathic understanding, emotional support, listening, problem solving, advocacy and discussing options
- Practical Assistance: to ensure your safety and help you to access basic needs
- Court Support: information on being a witness, court orientation and preparation for court
- Referrals: to counselling professionals, local community services and other services as needed.
For emergencies dial 911
- Victim Services 604-905-1969
- Whistler RCMP Detachment 604-932-3044
Other Local Resources
- Whistler Health Care Centre 604-932-4911
- Whistler Community Services Society 604-932-0113
- Crisis Centre Distress Line 1-866-661-3311
- B.C. Women’s Sexual Assault Service at Vancouver General Hospital 604-875-2881
- Ministry For Children and Family Development 604-894-2091
- Crown Counsel 1-800-538-9166
- Sea to Sky Community Services 604-894-6101
- Pemberton RCMP 604-894-6634
- Pearl’s Safe Home 1-877-890-5711
- Howe Sound Women’s Centre 604-892-5748
- Pemberton Health Care Centre 604-894-6939