Construction will begin in spring 2017 on a new Gateway Loop
Located behind the Village Square and between Gateway Drive and Village Gate Boulevard, the Gateway Loop is where you can find the Whistler Visitor Centre and it is the main transportation hub for Whistler's taxis and private bus services. A redesign of the site began in 2014 and was based on community input with the goal of providing visitors with a smooth introduction to Whistler while increasing the functionality of the Gateway Loop for buses, taxis personal vehicles and pedestrians.
The new Gateway Loop design was selected with public and stakeholder input and based on the following criteria:
- Substantially improve the arrival experience, capacity and usability of this area by bus and taxi users.
- Improve the connection and integration of this area to prominent adjacent Village access points.
- Improve the sense of arrival to Whistler for all visitors travelling along Village Gate Boulevard.
- Support improved pedestrian and vehicle flows in this key arrival and departure area.
While construction is underway the goal is to:
- Anticipate and mitigate the impact of construction activites on the businesses, visitors and residents.
- Ensure proactive, accurate, up-to-date information reaches the public and stakeholders, so they can plan ahead and adapt to construction related impacts prior to and during the construction period.
During construction the business community, visitors, and residents should expect:
- Access to the Gateway Loop to be restricted.
- Delays, parking restrictions and/or single-lane alternating traffic in the Gateway Loop and adjacent areas, as well as construction dust and noise.
- The RMOW will work to minimize disruptions whenever possible.