Photo credit: Mike Crane
With back-to-school season here, it’s time to shift our driving habits.
Help keep our littlest Whistlerites safe as they head back to class, by following these road safety tips:
Brake for the Bus
- Watch for flashing lights; if a school bus is stopped with the stop arm and signal lights activated, you must stop whether the bus is oncoming, or you are behind the bus. This allows students to leave the bus safely.
- Keep your speed under 30km/hour on all municipal roads.
- Plan ahead and give yourself extra time to get to where you need to be so you aren’t rushing.
- As we approach the end of summer, the shorter days and wet weather can limit visibility. Ensure your headlights are in good working order.
- Never pass at a crosswalk; vehicles may be stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross.
- Leave your phone and other distractions alone.
Student safety is a shared responsibility between all of us.