This fall and winter, be prepared: Resort Municipality of Whistler reminds residents to have a 72-hour emergency kit and plan ready

Publication Date: November 16, 2021


Following the recent atmospheric river event and subsequent Flood Watch in Whistler, the Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) is reminding everyone the importance of being prepared in case of an emergency as we head into winter.

“We live in a dynamic environment and climate change is clearly making us more susceptible to natural disasters such as flooding and landslides,” said Mayor Jack Crompton.   “We’ve seen a shift to more intensified weather systems, storms and flood risk in the fall.   It’s important that everyone has the tools ready and available for them to use in the event of an emergency, with the intent of being self-reliant for up to 72 hours.”

At a minimum, the following emergency supplies should be easily accessible in your home:

  • 72 hours of supplies including non-perishable food items, two litres of water per person per day, flashlight and batteries or hand-cranked flashlight, first-aid kit, medicines, warm sleeping bags and blankets, radio with batteries and a phone that connects directly to your phone jack since cellphones will eventually lose power and cordless phones will not work.
  • Toilet paper and toiletries.
  • Extra formula for infants, if required.
  • Pet food and medication, if required.
  • Copies of important documents, phone numbers that may be lost if a cell phone loses power and prescription information.
  • A neighbourhood plan. Know who in your neighbourhood needs checking in on and may require help if they lose power.
  • In the event of flooding, have sandbags on hand to place by door stops and windows at lower elevations.

During a power outage, safety is important:

  • Never leave candles unattended, especially overnight.
  • Only use portable generators and barbeques outdoors, using those indoors for any amount of time can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Know where the shut-offs are for your water and gas lines.
  • A downed power line is a danger.  Stay back and call 911 immediately. Stay back at least 10 metres (33 feet).
  • Leave your home if you feel there is immediate danger, including if you feel light-headed our nauseous as this could be a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Have a battery-powered carbon monoxide detector.

All residents and resort guests are strongly encouraged to subscribe to WhistlerAlert, the RMOW’s emergency notification system, to receive real time notifications via phone, text and email.  For more information and instructions for subscribing, visit

More information for preparing for an emergency can be found at

Print Friendly, PDF & Email