*Update: Tuesday, January 30, 2024*
With more rain in the forecast, last Friday’s flood watch advisory has been changed to a flood warning.
A flood warning means river levels are rising, and flooding of areas near affected rivers may occur.
As noted below, a self-serve sandbagging station is set up at the north parking lot in the Public Works Yard, located at 8020 Nesters Road. Bags, shovels, and sand are provided onsite.
Our teams are working hard to monitor water levels and address flooding issues as they happen. For your safety, please watch for signage in areas that have flooding.
You can assist by reporting flooding issues in the following areas through the channels listed:
- Highway 99: Drive BC or Miller Capilano Highway Services Ltd. at 1-866-918-1010
- Municipal roads: 604-935-8300 or Roads@whistler.ca
- Valley Trail: email@example.com
The River Forecast Centre continues to monitor the conditions and will provide updates as conditions warrant.
Additionally, this post will be updated as needed.
Please note that the Lost Lake Nordic XC Ski Trails are currently closed. To stay up to date on their status, please check the Trail Conditions for the latest.
As of Friday morning, January 26, a flood watch is in effect for the Sea to Sky, with some big storms forecast to start today and continue into next week.
70 to 250 mm of precipitation is expected over the next five days. Additionally, temperatures are predicted to warm, with snowmelt causing rivers to rise.
With all the above, there is a risk of flooding. The risk is currently rated as “Low” in Whistler. The Roads team will be monitoring conditions during this team for localized flooding and changes in conditions.
What does this mean for our community?
Prepare for storm conditions:
- See our Storm resources in our Winter Weather blog post.
- Check out the details in our flood resources.
- As a precaution, our Roads team will be setting up the self-serve sandbagging station at the north parking lot in the Public Works Yard, located at 8020 Nesters Road. This will be in place in case residents need some to protect their property. Bags, shovels, and sand will be provided onsite for use.
Know before you go:
- Highway driving: Check Drive B.C. before heading out on the Sea to Sky highway.
- Transit: Check bus schedules in real time to make sure you can get where you need to go.
- Lost Lake Nordic Trails: check trail conditions and watch for potential closures.
- Outdoor skating: check whistler.ca for weather-related updates.
Be careful around fast-flowing rivers: these are a high risk to life safety. The River Forecast Centre continues to monitor the conditions and will provide updates as conditions warrant.