Check this page for updates to building related information and information bulletins
New BC Building Code is effective December 10, 2018
The new BC Building Code is effective December 10, 2018 and will apply to building permits applied for on or after that date.
Some important BC-specific code changes introduced in the 2018 BC Building Code include:
- Increasing building accessibility for persons with disabilities;
- Improving the energy efficiency of buildings to require compliance with new building energy efficiency codes and standards;
- Providing a variation to the National Building Code requirements for mid-rise combustible buildings to require 10 percent street frontage and exterior cladding with increased fire resistance; and
- Updating radon data, based on recent studies. Proposed change will include Whistler as location in BC requiring radon rough-ins.
For more information about the 2018 BC Building and Plumbing Code: 2018 BC Codes
For a summary of 2018 BC Building Code Changes and technical bulletins:
- Summary of changes
- General technical bulletin
- Accessibility bulletin
- Mid-rise combustible construction bulletin
- New Radon Rough-in Requirements
BC Energy Step Code
Learn more about the implementation of BC Energy Step Code in Whistler.
RMOW Technical Bulletin - Snow load
Environment Canada was contracted by the RMOW to provide an updated ground snow load calculation for all areas in Whistler, based on site elevation. This request is in accordance with the guidelines outlined in the introduction section of Division B Appendix C “Climatic and Seismic Information for Building Design in Canada” from the 2018 BC Building Code, for locations not listed in the table.
The new ground snow load calculation and clarifications on code requirements for snow loading in whistler can be found in the RMOW Technical Bulletin - Snow Loads.
Additional Information Bulletins: Coming soon!
- Fire Separations