A planning process for the rezoning and future development on a 5.2-hectare area connected to Whistler Village has been initiated with the Resort Municipality of Whistler.
The mostly undeveloped, privately-owned lands have a prominent location just north of Whistler Village and present a significant opportunity for our resort community to shape a large development parcel in the Village. We will be seeking community input over the coming months through an enhanced process that will guide the consideration of the rezoning.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to participate in Phase 2 community engagement. A Phase 2 Update was presented to Council on February 21, 2023. Council directed staff to advance the enhanced rezoning process to Phase 3 with development of a preferred rezoning development concept guided by the Phase 2 Key Directions recommended through the analysis of input and consultation in Phase 2. Learn more about Phase 2.
Table of Contents
1. Overview, rezoning process and timeline
3. Phase 1 – Planning Principles (complete)
4. Phase 2 – Alternative Development Concepts (complete)
5. Phase 3 – Draft Bylaws (future)
6. Frequently Asked Questions
7. Related Materials
The owners of the site at 4500 Northlands Boulevard have made an application to initiate a rezoning process. Development of this area presents a unique opportunity to meet broad community priorities and align with the overall needs of our community to help achieve the following:
- Further a number of Council policies and initiatives
- Create a development that is sustainable, socially inclusive, and highly livable
- Derive community amenities to serve the new development and the broader community
- Align with the Climate Action Big Moves Strategy
- Create new housing and employment opportunities within walking distance of shops, services, the employment centre, and the village core
The RMOW has established an enhanced planning process for this application, to add engagement and input opportunities beyond what is required under a typical rezoning application. The enhanced process is made up of three phases. Each phase has multiple touch points with Council, committees, stakeholders and the community, and opportunities for review and feedback on the project. See the links below for more information about the process and opportunities for input in each phase.
The portion of the lands proposed for rezoning and future development is located at 4500 Northlands Boulevard and 4711 Settebello Drive (to be referred to collectively as 4500 Northlands) and is made up of two parcels totalling approximately 5.2 hectares (12.85 acres).
Principles and objectives for the site build upon key municipal policies, such as the updated Official Community Plan, to provide a clear framework from which to consider alternative development concepts and potential amenities associated with a rezoning of the privately-owned lands.
- March 16, 2021 Council report and video
- June 1, 2021 Council report and video
- August 17, 2021 Council report and video
- Phase 1 Engagement Materials
- June 7, 2022 Council report and video
- Phase 2 Engagement Materials
- February 21, 2023 Council report and video