Highlights of the zoning amendments include:
- Increase the maximum allowable height of all landscape features (including planters, stairs, walkways, decks and decorative walls, but not including retaining walls) in setback areas from 0.6 metres to 1 metre.
- Maintain the allowable setback from any side parcel line at 1 metre and from any front or rear parcel line at 2 metres.
Differentiate retaining walls from other landscape features by allowing them to be in setback areas under the following conditions:
- Increase the maximum allowable height of retaining walls from 0.6 metres to 1.22 metres.
- Decrease the allowable setback from any parcel line that does not abut a highway (any public or private strata road) from 1-2 metres to 0 metres.
- Maintain the allowable setback from any parcel line that abuts a highway (any public or private strata road) at 2 metres.
- Where there are two or more retaining walls within the same setback area, require each retaining wall to be separated from any other retaining wall by a horizontal distance of 1.22 metres; and limit the maximum slope of finished ground between retaining walls to not more than 1:4 (1 rise:4 run).
New retaining wall and landscape feature regulations are contained in Part 5.7 of the General regulations of Zoning and Parking Bylaw 303, 2015