Resort Municipality of Whistler Council
The Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) council is comprised of the mayor and six councillors. They are the elected decision-making body responsible for the public policy direction and governance of the municipal government. The current council was elected on November 19, 2011, and sworn in on December 6, 2011. Members will serve a three-year term.
Whistler's elected council for the 2011-2014 term.
The primary functions of municipal council are to establish administrative policy, to adopt bylaws governing matters delegated to local government through the Local Government Act and the Community Charter, along with other Provincial statutes for the protection of the public, and to levy taxes for these purposes.
Municipal council represents the citizens of Whistler, providing community leadership by serving as the legislative and policy making body of the municipality. The mayor and council approve policy and budgets and provide direction to the chief administrative officer.
Meet your council:
- Click here for more on the current council.
- Click here for details on the inaugural meeting and the mayor's inaugural address.
Council members enjoying their inaugural ski day.
The council is responsible for:
- Providing good government for its community.
- Providing works, services, facilities, and other things that the municipality considers necessary or desirable for all or part of the community.
- Providing stewardship of the public assets of the community.
- Fostering the current and future economic, social and environmental well being of the community.
Click here for information on council meetings.
Email council at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Governance Manual sets the framework and provides the tools to ensure that organizations operate in an effective and accountable manner.
In a local government context, the governance framework is aligned with the statutory authority and responsibilities while assisting elected officials and appointed staff in the efficient and effective delivery of services to the local community. The Governance Manual for the Resort Municipality of Whistler is set out in five sections and has been developed to provide greater clarity between governance and management.
Click here to view the Governance Manual.