Committees assist Council and provide opportunities for public involvement in municipal matters.
Committee of Council Review – Project Progress Update
The Governance and Ethics Committee of Council is currently undertaking a review of the Committees of Council program including all Standing and Select Committees. The project is an opportunity to review the Program as a whole and identify what is working well and what may be improved moving forward. Please watch the PowerPoint video with narration below to hear details of the work to date. The presentation is approximately 15 minutes long. Please direct questions related to the presentation or the review to Erin Marriner at email@example.com.
- Accessibility and Inclusion Committee
- Advisory Design Panel
- Economic Partnership Initiative Committee
- Emergency Planning Committee
- Festivals, Events and Animation Oversight Committee
- Forest and Wildland Advisory Committee
- Liquor Licence Advisory Committee
- May Long Weekend Committee
- Mayor’s Task Force on Resident Housing
- Public Art Committee
- Recreation Leisure Advisory Committee
- Strategic Planning Committee
- Technology Advisory Committee
- Transportation Advisory Group
- Transit Management Advisory Committee
- Whistler Bear Advisory Committee
- Zero Waste Select Committee
- Audit and Finance Standing Committee
- Human Resources Standing Committee
- Governance and Ethics Standing Committee
Committees are advisory in nature and function within the authority set out in their terms of reference or by bylaw. When citizen representatives are appointed, they serve in a voluntary capacity and bring local knowledge, expertise and experience to specific areas of civic concern.
Committee meetings are open to the public unless the topic relates to a subject included in Section 90 of the Community Charter. Minutes of each committee are approved by the chair and the committee and are forwarded to Council, usually in a meeting package, and are available to the general public upon request. The Community Charter and the Council Procedure Bylaw outlines rules of conduct for committee meetings.
Public Attendance at Committee Meetings
The public is welcome to attend open Committee Meetings of the various Advisory Bodies, including those at Committee, Board, and Task Force levels. If you are interested in observing the proceedings that help shape your community, please see the contact information located at the bottom of the Committee’s web page.
Please note that Committee Meetings are intended to inform and enlighten. Unless the advisory body is notified in advance and gives permission for you to speak at the proceedings, meetings are conducted in a non-debate format.
For more information on procedures and guidelines regarding public attendance at Committee Meetings, use the selected Committee’s contact information located at the bottom of the web page.