Whistler’s Council is comprised of a Mayor and six Councillors who are elected for a four-year term. The current Council was elected on October 15, 2022.
Learn when Council meets, what is on the agenda, and how you can watch meetings from home.
Here is how to share your ideas and comments with Council:
Recognition from Council
Each year, Council recognizes individuals who have made significant contributions to Whistler’s community.
Working with Council
If you want to be more involved in what happens in Whistler, you can attend or apply to join a Committee of Council meeting.
Learn about Governance
Want to know more about how a local government works? Check out the guiding legislation and how Whistler was formed as a Resort Municipality.
Meet your Council
Learn more about the current and fomer Mayor and Councillors.
What is Council responsible for?
The primary functions of municipal Council are:
- To establish administrative policy,
- To adopt bylaws governing matters delegated to local government through the Local Government Act and the Community Charter, along with other Provincial statutes for the protection of the public, and
- To levy taxes for these purposes.
Municipal Council represents the citizens of Whistler, providing community leadership by serving as the legislative and policy making body of the municipality. The Mayor and Council approve policy and budgets and provide direction to the Chief Administrative Officer.
Council is responsible for:
- Providing good government for its community,
- Providing works, services, facilities, and other things that the municipality considers necessary or desirable for all or part of the community,
- Providing stewardship of the public assets of the community, and
- Fostering the current and future economic, social and environmental well-being of the community.
A municipal council makes decisions collectively, meaning that it is not individual council members but rather the council as a whole, based on a majority vote, that decides and acts for the municipality.
Legislative Services Department