Animal Control

Whistler dog photo credit: Justa Jeskova

Bylaw Services has several animal control responsibilities to protect the safety and enjoyment of visitors and residents. 

Whistler’s Bylaw Officers:

  1. Proactively patrol Whistler parks
  2. Respond to calls about dogs off leash, barking dogs (noise complaints), dog bites and dangerous dog incidents
  3. Educate the public about responsible dog ownership (i.e. licensing, leashing, picking up dog waste)
  4. Monitor dogs in left in hot vehicles—We do not have the authority to enter vehicles. RCMP  or SPCA can.
  5. Pick up (impound) dogs at large or lost dogs in partnership with WAG.

Barking dogs

Dogs bark as a way of communicating. If a dog barking becomes a nuisance:

1. Contact the dog’s owners—Let them know you are concerned about the barking and give them a chance to remedy the situation.

2. If the problem persists, report your concern to Bylaw Services. Please provide:

  • Your name, address and phone number
  • The address of the barking dog
  • Description of the barking dog
  • Time and date when you hear the barking

3. Bylaw Services will file a report and investigate— A bylaw officer will visit the owners of the barking dog to let them know they have received a complaint and suggest ways to prevent nuisance barking.

4. Bylaw staff will take further action as required.

Lost dogs

Whistler’s Bylaw Services staff and Whistler Animals Galore (WAG), Whistler’s animal shelter, work together to help return lost pets to their owners.

Learn how to report a lost or found dog. If your dog has been picked up by a bylaw officer and brought to the animal shelter there is a fee to retrieve it.

Animal in distress

To report an animal in distress, including wildlife, phone the Animal Cruelty Reporting Hotline toll-free at 1-855-6BC-SPCA (1-855-622-7722). The call centre is open seven days per week.

Wildlife concerns

To report concerns about large wild animals, phone the BC Conservation Officer Service at 1-877-952-7277


Report bear sightings in residential areas by phoning the BC Conservation Officer Service (COS) at 1-877-952-7277 or 604-905-BEAR. Whistler Conservation Officers are notified daily about sightings and immediately in emergencies.

Learn more at


Report cougar sightings to the B.C. Conservation Officer Service at 1-877-952-7277 or 604-905-BEAR. 

Learn more at


Bylaw Services
4325 Blackcomb Way
Hours of operation: Monday to Sunday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

After hours contact:
RCMP non-emergency line

Print Friendly, PDF & Email