Committees assist Council and provide opportunities for public involvement in municipal matters.
We're transitioning to electronic committee meetings as an interim response to COVID-19. These meetings will be convened by electronic means as authorized by Ministerial Order No. M192, Local Government Meetings and By-law Process (COVID-19) Order No. 3.
The Zoom meeting links for all regular committee meetings will be posted on the individual committee webpages and the committee meeting agendas.
Current committee opportunities
- Advisory Design Panel
- Economic Partnership Initiative Committee
- Emergency Planning Committee
- Festivals, Events and Animation Oversight Committee
- Forest and Wildland Advisory Committee
- Liquor Licence Advisory Committee
- May Long Weekend Committee
- Mayor's Task Force on Resident Housing
- Measuring Up Committee
- Public Art Committee
- Recreation Leisure Advisory Committee
- Strategic Planning Committee
- Technology Advisory Committee
- Transportation Advisory Group
- Transit Management Advisory Committee
- Whistler Bear Advisory Committee
- Zero Waste Select Committee
- Audit and Finance Standing Committee
- Human Resources Standing Committee
- Governance and Ethics Standing Committee
Committees are advisory in nature and function within the authority set out in their terms of reference or by bylaw. When citizen representatives are appointed, they serve in a voluntary capacity and bring local knowledge, expertise and experience to specific areas of civic concern.
Committee meetings are open to the public unless the topic relates to a subject included in Section 90 of the Community Charter. Minutes of each committee are approved by the chair and the committee and are forwarded to Council, usually in a meeting package, and are available to the general public upon request. The Community Charter and the Council Procedure Bylaw outlines rules of conduct for committee meetings.
Public Attendance at Committee Meetings
The public is welcome to attend open Committee Meetings of the various Advisory Bodies, including those at Committee, Board, and Task Force levels. If you are interested in observing the proceedings that help shape your community, please see the contact information located at the bottom of the Committee's web page.
Please note that Committee Meetings are intended to inform and enlighten. Unless the advisory body is notified in advance and gives permission for you to speak at the proceedings, meetings are conducted in a non-debate format.
For more information on procedures and guidelines regarding public attendance at Committee Meetings, use the selected Committee's contact information located at the bottom of the web page.