Whistler’s Community Cultural Plan guides the Resort Municipality of Whistler’s pursuit of arts, culture and heritage opportunities.
When people think about culture, they often think about art and museums, and while Whistler is blessed with a number of world-class amenities celebrating this aspect of culture, there is much more to it. Whistler's culture includes our landscape and natural history (the geology, flora, fauna, and climate of the place), our heritage and cultural history, our lifestyle and built environment, and all the stories that, taken together, make this place extraordinary.
Download Whistler Cultural Plan
The plan includes 12 strategies and 31 recommendations to work towards the following three strategic priorities:
- Enhance cultural vitality – capitalizing on what we already have
- Expand cultural capacity – cultivating growth of creative activity
- Elevate awareness of and participation in cultural activities – connecting people to their community
The RMOW is pursuing the following objectives that are directed linked with the current Corporate Plan:
- Define “Whistler Culture” and identify elements that create culture in Whistler (dining, geography, museums, art, heritage, etc.)
- Establish a baseline for the number of room nights directly attributable to participation in key “Whistler Culture” attractions in both summer and winter.
- Measure length of stay in context of Whistler’s Culture as driving factor to visit Whistler.
- Identify customer segments for marketing opportunities.
- Quantify the effect of cultural tourism on resort Net Promoter Score
- Quantify the effect of cultural tourism on first time and repeat visitation
- Identify key attractions in Whistler
- Identify opportunities to enhance and develop cultural attractions and programs
- Identify what elements make a Whistler resident an ambassador or contributor to Whistler Culture
A steering committee was appointed to guide the process including representatives from:
- Whistler Arts Council
- Resort Municipality of Whistler
- Whistler Museum and Archives Society
- Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre
- Tourism Whistler
- Alliance for Cultural Tourism
- Whistler Blackcomb
- Whistler’s arts community
In addition, more than 400 community members participated in focus groups, attended open houses, and completed an online survey during development of the plan. A new survey is now collecting input about the cultural identity of Whistler.