Disaster Financial Assistance

DFA is a provincial program to help individuals recover from uninsurable disasters.

DFA is administered by Emergency Management BC, part of the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General. Not all emergencies are eligible; eligibility is determined by the Minister. The Minister has deemed overland flooding on January 31, 2020 as a DFA eligible event for the Whistler area. DFA can compensate individuals for 80% of eligible claims, after the first $1,000 to a maximum claim of $300,000. DFA is available for essential items only. It provides or reinstates the necessities of life, including help to repair and restore damaged homes and small businesses.

Disaster Financial Assistance Eligibility

In order for a homeowner to be eligible for DFA the property must be the homeowners principal residence where the majority of their personal effects are located, and the residence for which they received the provincial Home Owner Grant or were entitled to receive this grant. A residential tenant may be eligible for DFA for content losses if the property is thier primary residence where the majority of their personal effects are located.

How Do I Apply for Disaster Financial Assistance?

To apply, homeowners must apply to the Province of B.C. The forms are available here on the Province of B.C.’s website. If you would like printed copies of the forms, or assistance completing the application forms, please contact the RMOW Emergency Program Office at 604-935-8473 or eocwhistler@whistler.ca to arrange assistance.

For more information please see the provincial Disaster Financial Assistance website at http://www.gov.bc.ca/disasterfinancialassistance