View the paving schedule below for the latest status of work in specific areas.
Improving roads in Whistler
The Road and Valley Trail paving project will improve the quality and longevity of municipal roads in Whistler.
Areas for work in 2019 include:
- Nordic Estates: Nordic Dr, Eva Lake Rd., Garibaldi Way, Whistler Rd.
- Spring Creek Dr.
- Lake Placid Road
- Whistler Way
- Function Junction: Millar Creek and Alpha Lake Rd.
- Emerald Park basketball park and pump station surround.
- Nesters Impound Lot
- Bayly Park BMX track start
- Myrtle Phillip tennis court
- Interpretive Forest Trailhead Parking Lot
The following sections of the Valley Trail will be repaved in 2019:
- 50 metre section between PassivHaus and Four Seasons
- 80 metre section alongside Green Lake at Nicklaus North
- 60 metre Lorimer Road to Piccolo Drive
- 50 metre Oboe Place linking to St Andrews Way
- 20 metre St Andrews Way to Balsam Way
- 40 metre section at Millar's Pond Park
- 20 metre section below Linkside Drive
- 30 metre section from Snowflake Park to Bishop Way
- 5 metre section of Fitzsimmons Walk
Residents can expect minimal disruption with alternating traffic. Signs will be posted at the milling and paving locations and traffic control will be managed by the contractor.
Work will take place between May and end of October. Milling and paving will take place on weekdays only between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m., excluding holidays.
Milling refers to the removal of old pavement. Milling and paving do not necessarily occur on the same day.
|Location||Milling Date||Paving Date||Status|
|Function Junction: Millar Creek and Alpha Lake Road||Complete||Complete||Complete|
|Spring Creek Dr.||Complete||Complete||Complete|
|Nordic Drive, Garibaldi Way, Eva Lake Road||Complete||Complete||Complete|
Lake Placid Road
|Alpha Lake Road||Complete||Complete||Complete|
|Emerald Park basketball court and Pump Station surround||Fall date TBD||Fall date TBD||Being prepped for paving|
|Bayly Park BMX track start||Complete||Complete||Complete|
|Myrtle Phillip Tennis Court||TBD||TBD||To take place early October|
|Interpretative Forest Trailhead Parking Lot||Complete||Complete||Complete|
The schedule may be adjusted in the case of emergencies or unforeseen circumstances, such as changes in weather.
Road and Valley Trail drawings
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will the RMOW be installing sidewalks?
No, there will be no sidewalks added during the repaving project.
- Will the RMOW be painting road lines?
In-lay painting will be done by our roads crew following the paving of each area.
- Will there be dust during the repaving work?
The contractor will have a construction management plan approved prior to starting work that will include dust management.
- Can the RMOW please add speed humps/bumps to reduce vehicle speed?
Please see page 8 of the Traffic Calming Policy here for the application of speed humps/bumps
- Will there be any new traffic calming measures implemented?
The RMOW receives numerous inquiries about traffic calming and follows a Traffic Calming Policy A considerable amount of data is considered before moving into a consultation phase on whether or not the majority of owners in the impacted area support the change.
- I have a traffic calming suggestion/request, what do I do?
Please email email@example.com
- Can sidewalks be added to regulate pedestrian traffic?
The introduction of sidewalks into residential areas, where the primary storm water conveyance is via ditches and where off road snowfall accumulation is a necessity, is a topic that extends beyond a traffic calming issue.
- Can car counters be installed to learn about the volume of traffic?
Related information is available on page 18-19 of the Traffic Calming Policy.
- Can proper signs and road markings, such as clearly painting the road approaching three way stops, be added to prepare drivers for upcoming stop signs and clearly mark three way stops?
Road signs and markings are determined by the Ministry of Transport Road Manual of Standard Traffic Signs & Pavement Markings. Bylaw Services enforces road sign infractions. Please report any violations you observe to Bylaw Services. The RCMP will also be notified to allow additional enforcement at this location.
- Can raised “green asphalt” pedestrian cross walks be installed?
Relevant information is available on page 12 of the Traffic Calming Policy.