Residential Recycling - What goes in the bins?
Mixed containers (metal, plastic and paper packaging that contained liquids)
Remember: Empty and rinse, include caps and lids removed from containers, squeeze metal lids inside cans, take deposit beverage containers to Return-It depot for refund or place in donation bin.
- Straws, plastic and non-paper wraps
- Foiled-lined cardboard lids
- Foil bags, foil wrap with paper, stand-up pouches, liquid-absorbing pads, stretch wrap, blister packs, packaging labelled biodegradable, ceramic pots, lawn edging, tarps, plastic furniture, garden hoses, string and rope
- Pails larger than 25 litres
Remember: Remove plastic, labels and adhesive tapes. Accepted at depots.
- Boxes with wax coatings
- Cardboard with food leftovers, e.g. pizza boxes can be included in compost
Printed paper and packaging
Remember: Remove plastic wrap. Accepted at depots. Tip: Contact Canada Post to request that unwanted unaddressed mail not be delivered to your mailbox.
- Non-paper gift wrap
- Musical greeting cards with batteries
- Padded envelopes
- Boxes with wax coatings
- Foiled-lined bags
- Paper towel, napkins and tissues (can be included in compost)
Glass bottles and jars
Remember: Empty and rinse containers, remove lids, take deposit beverage containers to Return-It depot for refund or place in adjacent donation bin. Accepted at DEPOTS ONLY.
- Drinking glasses
- Window glass or mirrors
- Ceramic products
- Metal lids (recylce with mixed containers)
Plastic bags and film
Remember: Empty bags, remove non-plastic items, stuff into one bag and tie closed. Accepted at DEPOTS ONLY.
- Crinkly cellophane wrap
- Stretch wrap
- Zipper-lock bags
- Potato chip or snack bags
- Plastic shipping envelopes
- Bags labelled biodegradable or compostable
- Multi-layer or laminated plastic packaging
- Plastic bubble wrap
Styrofoam packaging (separate white and coloured)
Remember: Rinse; remove labels, tape, paper and cardboard from Styrofoam cushion packaging; separate white and coloured foam. Accepted at DEPOTS ONLY.
- Liquid-absorbing pads or stretch wrap
- Packing chips, peanuts or noodles
- Blue or pink foam board insulation
Other flexible packaging (stand-up zipper bags, crinkly wrappers and bags, woven and net plastic bags)
Find out what's included in this category of crinkly, non-stretchy plastic packaging, and what's not included.
- Plastic squeeze tubes
- 6-pack rings
- Paper lined plastic
- Plastic strapping
Prevent contamination of recycling
When the materials are deposited in the wrong recycling bins, the recycled materials become contaminated (e.g. plastic lids are thrown into a bin of glass bottles). Contaminated materials can't be recycled and are then sent to landfill.
You can prevent contamination of Whistler’s recycling:
- Rinse all containers.
- Remove and discard lids.
- Flatten recyclables.
- Keep recyclables loose (do not stack; do not bag).
- Sort recyclables correctly into the labelled bins.
- Bag only clean plastic film into one bag or bundle only clean plastic film together.
- Tie individual plastic film bags into a knot.
- Deposit only certified compostable containers and bags into the compostable organics bin.